Re: [Amc-list] 304 2V fuel mileage

 My 72 Javelin is still sporting its original 304 with a remanufactured
Motorcraft 2300 carb I put on it a few years ago. It has the 998
automatic, with 2.87 rear gears, dual exhaust and 14" wheels/tires. At a
steady 65 MPH, I've gotten as much as 19-20 MPG from it. This is
interstate highway driving. One of my desires is to locate a (cheap!)
Edelbrock Performer intake manifold and replace the heavy original 2V
manifold and carb with the lighter, more efficient aluminum intake and a
4V carb that's something like 500CFM or thereabouts (something suitable
for a stock 304). The 4V carb, with its smaller primary venturis, should
theoretically provide better economy than the large venturis of the
2300.
I also have one of the rare Sanden AC compressor brackets for the AMC V8
so that I can mount a light and efficient Sanden AC compressor in lieu
of the bulky York the car originally carried to save a bit more weight.

I'd be interested to see what kind of mileage gains I might get from
such a combination. I've also given some consideration to installing
some sort of automatic overdrive transmission to attempt more mileage
gains. At this point, though, the 998 works just fine and I don't drive
the car that often, so the transmission swap would likely only be in the
event of a major failure of the 998.

How about those Javelin owners who have six-cylinder engines? What sort
of mileage would a 232 or 258 equipped Javelin get?

Jeff Reeves
Auburn GA
94 Cherokee
79 Spirit GT