Re: [Amc-list] 66 Ambo compression prob--new info Jim Blair

Re: [Amc-list] 66 Ambo compression prob--new info Jim Blair

     Jim...thanx again for the suggestions.   I worked for AMC in the
80's just when the 4.0 was getting ready to come out; so never really
new nothing about the engine except they were saying it would be even
better than the previous generation of 6's.  Knowing the previous 6's
were a very long term durable engine I was very reluctant to believe
that; and also never even knew until you told me about the timing
chain/gears interchange on these engines that they even had any
similarities at all.

     I will be definitely be taking you up on your suggestion to use the
later version of chain/gears when I go thru the engine (hopefully this
winter if I don't end up tearing it apart now); but by the time I got
your suggestion on the AMC list I had already ordered a direct
replacement; and received it and had it sitting in the garage to
install.  It is all steel gears but again a direct replacement.  So that
is what actually ended up being installed was old version all steel
gears.

     Also; didn't know the cover would need replaced with the newer
version of chain/gears and cam "button".  Can you refer me to a supplier
for the newer cover and cam button?  And what do you mean by "button"?

     If you see my most recent previous post; I got it running last
night with no slapping/clattering noise at all.  Fuel line is
disconnected and just used squirt bottle of gas down carb with sea foam
mixed in.

     I also tried it again this  morning when leaving for work and still
no clattering but now get exhaust noise sounds like a exhaust valve
sticking maybe coming thru carb. Since I wont be able to spend any
serious time on it til next week ( I am scheduled to work 71 hrs this
week; so have no life this week) I'm gonna continue to run trans fluid
thru it and see if I can get lucky enough to just keep it running long
enough to check the rest of the car out so I'll have a plan for this
winter and know all the issues the car might have and then spend some
serious time on the all the issues I find this winter.

     Hope I didn't "Ramble" too much and look forward to your response
again.  Thanx again,

Duane Hacking