Re: [Amc-list] breaks

On Wed, 16 May 2007, Matt Haas wrote:

> Sounds like it's too late now but the ridiculously huge flare nuts you
> need are available from a couple places. Inline Tube
> (http://www.inlinetube.com) is one place that carries them.

D'oh! I should have looked! The unspoken reason for using the
adapters is that they're just dumb part available locally. The
problem is I had only one, and no local store carried them,
so I added two onto a RockAuto order! I could have gone to
inlinetube and got the right ones.  Oh well, it'll work the same,
and I can use plain old 3/16" flare nuts.

> Also, I'll do you one better on scary brake lines: When I switched out
> the rear line on my 67 American, it started leaking out of the middle of
> the line after the tranny cross member was removed. The only thing I can
> figure that kept it from leaking the rest of the time was the slight
> pressure the cross member puts on the anti-rattle sleeve in that area. I
> hadn't driven the car at that point since I knew the wheel cylinders
> where bad but it didn't leak at all stomping on the brake pedal.

Wow, it's amazing how close to the edge things can be and
still work!

I'm keeping the old wheel cyls. They're not leaking now,
but I'm sure they're along in age. But they fail slowly, and
there's too much do upgrade at once, and brake upgrades are in
the plans anyways.