[Amc-list] 5 speed stick transmissions

A conversation with Mr. John Elle:

What does it take to put an AX-15 in an AMC car?

A. The parts from a Cherokee XJ with an AX15 from the factory.

Is it satisfactory when done?

A. From XJ drivers - yes - from these discussions on optimum
street driving ratios - sounds as if 1st is too short for performance
applications. Many NAXJ.ORG drivers testify to beating the crap out
of their AX15 rigs - problems arise after 100k+ miles of such abuse -
syncros being the main complaint.

Does the speedometer work?

A. In '91 they went to an electronic instrument cluster - so there
is a solution somewhere.

I have read that in order to get something accomplished you have to take 2 or three permutations
and assemble one that will function supposedly correctly.

A.  No, I was looking at a driver 5 speed behind a moderate 360 - straight parts pull from
one '97 - '99 Cherokee XJ - bolt it in - as this is the most 'improved' version.

What is the point if I have to buy 3 transmissions.

A.  I'm missing something here -.........

And what happens if the 2 or 3 you buy have parts that don't interchange.

A.  Not planning on swapping internals - the '97 - '99 had a larger input
shaft upgrade - hence my choice of years.

A.  Can't change input shafts between an R154 and an AX15 as
you'd have first gear to tend with.  Do the complete internals exchange ?
I haven't found anything posted to this - as I don't believe anyone has
tried.  AX15 and R154 are noted to be in the same 'category' ? for Aisin
designs - so a possibility that you could swap internals - however -
why bother when the R154 will bolt in behind an AX15 bell housing ?

What is the point in  buying a Toyota Truck transmission so you can get better gearing
if the parts won't fit in the jeep transmission.

A.  The Aisin 'Toyota' truck transmissions are the 'F' transmissions - not even in
my considerations - I started my 5spd. investigations beginning with the AX15 -
that I have in my '89 Cherokee - which is a nice transmission - but would be short
on spread in first gear for a 360 streeter.

    Andrew pointed out the virtues of the Toyota Supra Turbo R154 5 speed - which
will bolt to the AX15 bell housing.  This has great reviews from being used in swaps
behind 350 chevies to Turbo'd Volvo's to 600HP street 'Kings' - haven't found a
bad review yet combing www.google.com - and - buy in is $350.oo with 'short shifter'
kits available along with various HURST and alike shifters. I haven't found any
posts on www.google.com as to someone having 'Blown up an R154' either.

con't: j.elle -

I'm not saying that they don't or won't but no one has indicated that
they will.

I  have already installed one Mustang Transmission and have driven
it behind a cooking version of a 390 for about 15 years now and
really have no complaints.

If I had the money and the inclination there are gear sets that would
enable me to change the gear ratio of 1st and 2nd to give me a closer
to a close ratio 4 speed with a deep over drive which would have
done 2 things.

Let me keep the 3.54:1 rear axle with out changing
it and strengthened the transmission to specifications approaching
those of a T-10.

A. The 'dead' 1st gear of the Mustang trans.- somewhat useless by
example if one is starting in 2nd gear with a Daily Driver - is why
I'm not considering a Mustang transmission.

    R154

This is a robust 5-speed transmission found in the MKIII Supra Turbo
<http://www.answers.com/topic/toyota-supra> and Toyota Soarer
<http://www.answers.com/topic/toyota-soarer> (turbo) up to 2001.

Ratios:

    * First Gear: 3.250:1
    * Second Gear: 1.955:1
    * Third Gear: 1.310:1
    * Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
    * Fifth Gear: 0.753:1

Mustang
1st         3.35           28      (C)                       32   (D)
2nd        1.98           48                                  54
3rd         1.34          71                                  80.5
4th         1.00          95                                  107
5th         .76            125                                143

With C being the speed in gear with a 3.54:1 Rear Axle
and D being the speed in gear with a 3.15:1 Rear Axle.
The speed is calculated using  4500 rpm w/P205-70-R14 Tires

Considering the  3.35 of the FORD camp -
I'm back to Toyota Supra Turbo -
which will bolt up using the AX15 bellhousing -
as far as I've researched & found info. for.

The clutch throwout bearing changed from an internal [inside bellhousing] to external
for the AX15 -
the R154 uses the external version.

$350.00 buy in price for R154
$220.00 rebuild kit.
xxx.xx  AX15 Bellhousing - clutch arm etc.
$129.00 New AX15 reservoir / slave [get used]
xxx.xx  clutch / pp / bearing / flywheel - assorted

For the reviews I've read -
this is choice #1 so far for under 1K$
........ but I'm listening !

--