Re: [Amc-list] 5 speed stick transmissions

Re: [Amc-list] 5 speed stick transmissions

" From: Brien Tourville <hh7x@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" A conversation with Mr. John Elle:
"
"
"
"
"
" Does the speedometer work?
"
" A. In '91 they went to an electronic instrument cluster - so there
" is a solution somewhere.

afaik the vss is driven off the speedo gear just like a cable.  also
afaik the early '90s vss is 'passthrough', with a place for cable
attachment.

" I have read that in order to get something accomplished you have to take 2 or three permutations
" and assemble one that will function supposedly correctly.
"
"
" A.  No, I was looking at a driver 5 speed behind a moderate 360 - straight parts pull from
" one '97 - '99 Cherokee XJ - bolt it in - as this is the most 'improved' version.
"
"
"
" []
"
"
"
" A.  Not planning on swapping internals - the '97 - '99 had a larger input
" shaft upgrade - hence my choice of years.

i stumbled across a site the other day - national drivetrain or
randy's ring & pinion, or some such - with a long pg of ax15 rebuild
parts.  with few exceptions - and the input was not one of them - all
parts were listed as '89-'99.  did they really change?  the only
difference i can find is a change from 0.590" pilot to 0.750".  the
clutch spline is still 1 1/8" x 10.

" A.  Can't change input shafts between an R154 and an AX15 as
" you'd have first gear to tend with.  Do the complete internals exchange ?

ordinarily the input, cluster, and mainshaft gears are a set and you
can't mix and match between sets.  swapping sets is something else.

" I haven't found anything posted to this - as I don't believe anyone has
" tried.  AX15 and R154 are noted to be in the same 'category' ? for Aisin
" designs - so a possibility that you could swap internals - however -
" why bother when the R154 will bolt in behind an AX15 bell housing ?

the r154 fits the ax15 bell because it's a different version of the
same tranny.  i'd be surprised if the cases weren't identical and
complete gear swaps possible.  this doesn't matter much for 2wd apps
but would for 4wd.

"     Andrew pointed out the virtues of the Toyota Supra Turbo R154 5 speed - which
" will bolt to the AX15 bell housing.  This has great reviews from being used in swaps
" behind 350 chevies to Turbo'd Volvo's to 600HP street 'Kings' - haven't found a
" bad review yet combing www.google.com - and - buy in is $350.oo with 'short shifter'
" kits available along with various HURST and alike shifters. I haven't found any
" posts on www.google.com as to someone having 'Blown up an R154' either.

it is a fact that the supra motor, turbo and all, is only 183 cubes.
toyota likes to overbuild, but i still think putting the r154 behind
a v8 - especially for drag racing, which is what started this thread
- is playing it out of its league.

" con't: j.elle -
"
" I'm not saying that they don't or won't but no one has indicated that
" they will.
"
" I  have already installed one Mustang Transmission and have driven
" it behind a cooking version of a 390 for about 15 years now and
" really have no complaints.

street driving or quarter miles?  the original poster wanted to get
into the 10s in his 343 powered '79 amx.

" If I had the money and the inclination there are gear sets that would
" enable me to change the gear ratio of 1st and 2nd to give me a closer
" to a close ratio 4 speed with a deep over drive which would have
" done 2 things.
"
"
" Let me keep the 3.54:1 rear axle with out changing
" it and strengthened the transmission to specifications approaching
" those of a T-10.

if you want strong and close ratio, g force and 1 or 2 others have t5
road racing gearsets which they claim can take 600 hp...  i don't
think they're worth it unless you're road racing.

" A. The 'dead' 1st gear of the Mustang trans.- somewhat useless by
" example if one is starting in 2nd gear with a Daily Driver - is why
" I'm not considering a Mustang transmission.

dead?  how so?  for his 390 and 3.54 rear?  how is the r154 1st
better?

"     R154
"
" This is a robust 5-speed transmission found in the MKIII Supra Turbo
" <http://www.answers.com/topic/toyota-supra> and Toyota Soarer
" <http://www.answers.com/topic/toyota-soarer> (turbo) up to 2001.
"
" Ratios:
"
"     * First Gear: 3.250:1
"     * Second Gear: 1.955:1
"     * Third Gear: 1.310:1
"     * Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
"     * Fifth Gear: 0.753:1
"
" Mustang
" 1st         3.35           28      (C)                       32   (D)
" 2nd        1.98           48                                  54
" 3rd         1.34          71                                  80.5
" 4th         1.00          95                                  107
" 5th         .76            125                                143

i'm not aware of a 0.76 5th for the mustang t5, only 0.8, 0.73, and
0.68.  then again the 0.8 is for the 2.95 box, so maybe it raises to
0.76 with the 3.35 cluster.

" With C being the speed in gear with a 3.54:1 Rear Axle
" and D being the speed in gear with a 3.15:1 Rear Axle.

thanks to jeepers, 3.31 and 3.07 are also available...

" Considering the  3.35 of the FORD camp -

remember there's also the 2.95 ford svt t5.

" I'm back to Toyota Supra Turbo -
" which will bolt up using the AX15 bellhousing -
" as far as I've researched & found info. for.
"
" The clutch throwout bearing changed from an internal [inside bellhousing] to external
" for the AX15 -
" the R154 uses the external version.

afaik you can swap front bearing retainers at will, but the internal
slave cylinder was a crap idea.  even jeep saw the light about '95.