Re: [Amc-list] alternate disc-brake conversion kit

On Wed, 16 May 2007, farna@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I just got an e-mail from the seller, Mark Janis from Lynwood,
> WA. This is exactly what AMCs have needed for a while now! There
> was a big discussion on the AMC Forums (.com -- the one that's
> disappeared, it seems) about this.

1990 S-10 calipers are $12 rebuilt!! $32 with pads!! New
Raybestos calipers are $18 each!!! New vented rotors are $35!!

Oops -- wheel bolt pattern is 5 x 4.75, not 5 x 4.5. That's not
good. Is there an AMC-compatible bolt circle available? Else
it's useless to me (who runs stock steel wheels and refuses to
carry two spare tires).

> I was criticized for even
> suggesting anyone would want something other than either
> the stock AMC setup or the $1200 (or so) Aerospace setup.

I've seen this sort of thing happen in other totally different
venues.  Us AMCers sometimes get a bit of 'seige mentality'
always hinted at that we're second class (you drive what? ha
ha!) so when an "outsider" tells us he's got something that's
good for us, we get defensive.

Whether or not this kit is any good, we'll find out, but
scarebird seems to have a thing for making modern, inexpensive
brakes available for 'orphan' cars of all kinds, so he's one
of the good guys.

Viewing AMC products as a niche-interest orphan is a healthy
view. If you look at his site (and other orphan-car sites)
the love is spread evenly amongst a bunch of cars, only some
of which "I" love. Hey we're all in the same boat though with
parts availability!

> pointed out that stock disc brake setups were getting hard to
> find and even then still needed rebuilt calipers and possibly
> new rotors. A more readily available setup that didn't require
> digging around a salvage yard, and was in the $200-$400 range,
> should be all that most people want.

... and it will take pressure of people who really do want or
need originality!

> Mark is going to send me a set to physically eye-ball, and
> of course I'll be writing a review. Might even put them on my
> car.

I can't wait for good pictures of this setup!