Re: [Amc-list] alternate disc-brake conversion kit

Re: [Amc-list] alternate disc-brake conversion kit

The spacer rings are for proper bearing pre-load. I wouldn't worry about that at all -- your rear axle uses the same setup (spacer or a crush washer) for the pinion shaft. I haven't looked at a set yet (seller told me he'd send a set for review), but my guess is that the Ranger spindle is just a little shorter than the AMC spindle and the spacers are needed to keep the taper bearings tight. The spacers are against the inner ring of the bearing that stays put on the spindle. The bearings are tapered so that pressure keeps them together.

The track is increased by the thickness of the bracket -- just as it is with a stock AMC bracket. The drum brake spindle flange is thicker than a disc brake spindle flange. The disc flange is thinner to partially make up for the 3/8" thick cast caliper bracket. I believe the track is increased at least 1/2" (total) with the stock setup also.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"