Re: [Amc-list] 66 American front end replacement

Re: [Amc-list] 66 American front end replacement

Jay,

My 67 American has about 44,000 miles on it and it handles very nice
with the stock font suspension. There is no mistaking it for a newer car
but it handles pretty well (I'm sure it would be better with a sway bar
and wider tires) and rides very nicely. The only other car from that era
I can compare it with is a 68 Valiant and the American beats it in the
ride and handling departments. Also, there's nothing magical about the
Mustang II front suspension geometry other than it's about a million
times better than a solid axle (which is mostly what street rodders are
replacing). If you really want excellent handling, look into Corvette C5
or C6 components (front and rear). It will be a lot more custom fab work
but these components are significantly better than most other cars on
the road.

Matt

Jay wrote:
> What is the feasibility of replacing the front complete on my 66 American
> with a more modern front end with disc brakes? The street-rodders use
> Mustang 2 front ends most of the time as they are easy to find and
> reasonable. What would you recommend that I use if it is to be done?  Is it
> economically  feasible?
>
> Or should I just replace the original  pinions with later types with grease
> fittings?
>
> Jay in FL.

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH