Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

A: I was actually thinking of taking a page from the Aircar technicals and maybe have a regen on the electric motor, but also have reversible air motors at each wheel (an extra 50 lbs isn't much on a 1 ton truck) I'll already have an air tank for inflating tires and stuff. I watched the Aircar promo (I forgot to save it) and the acceleration of that thing was unreal! I figure a blend of the 3 technologies would be interesting, but I'm doing more learning on controllers before I jump in. These guys are running pretty much open source on the technical issues of setting up LPG EFI and electric vehicles (I'm on the EV car list on Yahoogroups as well as a worldwide LPG list)

From: farna@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx (AMC-List)

A: You are talking about regenerative braking through the
electric motor? I
was thinking a small electric motor at each wheel for
regenerating the power
and stopping.

No, go through the electric motor. It's already connected to the
drivetrain. When it's loaded like a generator it will drag on
the car, just like an alternator does when charging -- only more
since it's a heavier rotating mass. Sort of like engine braking.
You can only get so much back before you have to start using
regular brakes, but I don't think a motor at each wheel would
help. There wouldn't be enough drag to totally stop the vehicle,
eliminating the need for standard brakes, so you'd have the
added weight of each motor, negating any increase in recovered
power as far as I can see. The only reason regenerative braking
(RB) really works is that there is little weight added, but
every time you release the accelerator you get a little power
back. Someone mentioned coasting with an EV, but I don't think
modern ones are set up to do so, not when RB is used. With RB it
would feel more like a conventional vehicle too.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"