Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

I don't think simple regenerative braking, as used in most home-built EVs, is all that complex. The controller just monitors the acclerator and vehicle speed. There might be some point where the vehicle speed is constant with no accelerator that it will "coast", but I would think there are simpler ones that either apply power or switch over to regen mode. I would think even that would gain more range than coasting, even though you'd have your foot at least lightly on the accelerator most of the time. A brake switch could be added so that regen is activated only when the accelerator is off and the brake pedal is lightly touched. There could be a complex formula for applying regen, but I just don't think it's necessary except to "put the squeeze" on getting every last millivolt out of the system.

There's a cost vs. gain equation there too! I'd keep it simple and have the thing switch to regen as long as there was no accelerator applied and the brake pedal was touched. Light pressure on the brake pedal (like resting your foot on it) would activate regen without activating the mechanical brakes. More pressure would keep regen active and start applying regular brakes. Regen would still be occuring in conjunction with regualr braking. Simple enough!!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"