Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

A: You are talking about regenerative braking through the electric motor? I
was thinking a small electric motor at each wheel for regenerating the power
and stopping.

No, go through the electric motor. It's already connected to the drivetrain. When it's loaded like a generator it will drag on the car, just like an alternator does when charging -- only more since it's a heavier rotating mass. Sort of like engine braking. You can only get so much back before you have to start using regular brakes, but I don't think a motor at each wheel would help. There wouldn't be enough drag to totally stop the vehicle, eliminating the need for standard brakes, so you'd have the added weight of each motor, negating any increase in recovered power as far as I can see. The only reason regenerative braking (RB) really works is that there is little weight added, but every time you release the accelerator you get a little power back. Someone mentioned coasting with an EV, but I don't think modern ones are set up to do so, not when RB is used. With RB it would feel more like a conventional vehicle too.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"