Re: [Amc-list] Another Rear Axle option!

Re: [Amc-list] Another Rear Axle option!

>From Jeff Reeves (who can't post from work.. yet...). I thought the Fox platform LTD started in 79, not 83, but I can be wrong on occasion! ;>
The current Crown Victoria is still being built on the ?Panther? platform that made its debut in 1979 under the then-LTD and Marquis. In 1983 Ford gave the ?LTD? moniker to the Fox-platform Fairmont derivative LTD/Marquis series and the Panther-platform car became the LTD Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis. The smaller LTD was NOT an LTDII as many people like to call it---it was simply the LTD. The LTDII was the ?midsized? Torino replacement of 1977-79. Ford dropped the LTD designator altogether after 1991, with its senior car simply being ?Crown Victoria?.

The Lincoln Town Car also utilized the ?Panther? platform for a number of years, but I think in recent years it may have been revamped. Anyhoo?most folk don?t realize that the current, modern Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis sedans are still riding around on a platform designed in the mid 1970s.

(See John Elle's post, same subject)

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"