Re: [Amc-list] Off with it's head!

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> You will likely be able to se exactly what bearing is causing
> the knock, usually it's quite visible.

Yeah, I assume it should be visible if it's been knocking. I'm
careful, just not much engine experience. I've torn down and
rebuilt, but not usually this sort of debugging.

> I'd almost bet
> you'll find damage from a dry bearing contacting the crank,
> crocus cloth and a careful polish should clean the crank
> up.

I hadn't thougt that would work, I suppose the damage has to be
minimal, but this definitely isn't very noisy (the piston crown
isn't slamming the cylinder head like my friend's Studebaker
(some 25 yrs ago) that he continued to drive without any conn
bearing in one cyl (on-road failure, he pressed on to my house)
you could ID the bad cyl because that piston crown was shiny
peened metal! Umm this isn't that :-)

> if it was a total reman you may run into an undersize
> crank. Be on the lookout for indentifiers on the bearings when
> they come out.  If the bearings aren't bad I would resist the
> urger to pop them out of the caps and rods to clean them,
> unless you are replaceing them all.

Yeah, that last is something I would do :-) I'll resist the urge.
Everything's settled in, if its OK I'd just make it works. Pop
cap, inspect/plastigage, lube and reinstall.

> Unless all the
> rod bearings are perfect, I'd replace them and start fresh.  >

Huh? Were you talking about the crank bearings above (inspect,
plastigage, reinstall), or rod?