Re: [Amc-list] Off with it's head!

From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
> I've had a hell week
SNIP
> I have very little experience with diagnosing possible problems
> with bearings, eg. acid stains from old oil, or really subtle
> wear stuff. I know what bad ones look and feel like. Any tips?

Sorry to hear about your dad. Family can be fun, not.
I only 35 miles from mine, but steer clear except in times of holidays, bdays,etc; It keeps me saner, well, a little!

You will likely be able to se exactly what bearing is causing the knock, usually it's quite visible. If not, use plastigauge to check them one at a time. Plastigauge is easy to use, it's a little tricky laying on the ground, but doable. If you have questions on it's use runa search, There should be some pages out there to show exactly how to use it. I'd almost bet you'll find damage from a dry bearing contacting the crank, crocus cloth and a careful polish should clean the crank up. The plasticgauge the new bearing to make sure clearances look OK. if it was a total reman you may run into an undersize crank. Be on the lookout for indentifiers on the bearings when they come out.  If the bearings aren't bad I would resist the urger to pop them out of the caps and rods to clean them, unless you are replaceing them all. A friend did this once on a fairly lowmileage engine and removing that little bit of buildup from the back side left him with a rod knock! He may have put it toget
 her dr
y too, though?
  Unless all the rod bearings are perfect, I'd replace them and start fresh.

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV