Re: [Amc-list] Points/Vacuum Advance

Izzy,

You can order parts online for your specific car and
engine combination, just like using a catalog or
computer database in the store.  If you go to the
Rockauto site at www.rockauto.com you can specify the
above items.

There is a dataplate on your distributor with a part
number on it.  To stay with the stock specifications
you should order a vacuum advance can for that
specific distributor.  Point sets are pretty universal
and can come as one piece with the condenser attached
to the base plate or two piece with the points and
condensor separate (but often together in the same
box.)   I advise you to replace both the points and
condenser together whenever you need to replace one or
the other.

There should be a little capsule of cam lobe grease in
the points box also.  Smear just a little on the
distributor cam lobe when you replace the points.
Your TSM should tell you how to do the job and re-set
your timing.  You will need to reset the timing when
replacing the points.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA