Re: [Amc-list] 1956. Oil Filter Trivia

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, farna@xxxxxxx wrote:
"
" > I'm more familiar with the 195.6 than I want to be anymore! I
" > can't see you having a problem running detergent oil. I did in
" > my American w/195.6 OHV for 14 years, no problems. And I drove
" > it back then -- 5-7K annually for all but three of those years
"
"
" Yeah, it's not a real worry. I am puzzled by the concerns over
" lack of zinc (ZDDP) in modern oils. While it's hard to get
" hard data about lubrication (why is that?!) it does seem the
" zinc is for extreme cases, eg. metal on metal caused by heat,
" hig shear, etc, and not just cold/startup. It just seems that
" in a low-performance, high-clearance motor like the 195.6, the
" gains of modern oils (life, lubricity, stability, blah blah)
" totally outweigh the possible disadvantages.

except for cams and tappets.  modern engines don't have flat tappets,
and over on the strokers list several people have had cam failures
- and 2nd hand reports of others - we're beginning to attribute to
low/no zddp in modern oils.

there are oils that still have high zddp - motorcycle oils, diesel
oils, oils still rated for both spark and compression [eg sf/cd]; stp
apparently has a zddp additive.

" The lack of full filtration is the worst feature of that motor
" (so it seems, I haven't owned one before, the annual head-torque
" and valve adjust doesn't bother me, like most of us nuts here
" I over-maintain my cars).
"
" The brain-surgeon guy a B & E Transmissions in San Francisco
" told me years ago that advances in trannie fluid alone improves
" life and performance of old-design transmissions. Can't hurt,
" look how long my little air-cooled trans lasted in my Classic
" wagon, behind a 232, and I used it hard.

the tranny brain surgeon around here - now sadly [for us] pretty much
retired - changed his own a/t fluid and filter every year, said it was
a cheap way to extend tranny life.