Re: [Amc-list] 1956. Oil Filter Trivia

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> except for cams and tappets.  modern engines don't have flat tappets,
> and over on the strokers list several people have had cam failures
> - and 2nd hand reports of others - we're beginning to attribute to
> low/no zddp in modern oils.

Have modern engines really abandoned flat tappets so universally?
I know the Jeep 4.0 isn't cutting-edge, but is it considered
so old that oil isn't mad for it any more?

The strokers list experiences might not be totally normalizable;
they're modding engines, right? With cam changes? Stronger
springs, bigger lifts?

Can't some of the oil-analysis services determine some of this
in post-mortems?

> the tranny brain surgeon around here - now sadly [for us] pretty much
> retired - changed his own a/t fluid and filter every year, said it was
> a cheap way to extend tranny life.

Umm, doesn't everybody? I go two years, if I'm really lazy,
three. I'm certain it's why my little air-cooled BW lasted 18
years/200K? miles. It probably had 6 - 8 fluid changes/band
adjustments in that time. I just had my A904 done at 25K miles
or so. Oil's cheaper than metal!

This iron of ours is getting old and exotic and expensive,
oil changes and maintenance are cheeeeep! (There's that Rambler
Mentality again.)