Re: [Amc-list] correction, 287 instead of 327

Re: [Amc-list] correction, 287 instead of 327

This gives me a chance to voice what I believe to be true on Gen I V-8's.
The lifters are the same as all AMC V-8's. As close as the nearest parts store.
I'd not even consider only replacing the bad ones. Do them all. My brothers 287 rattles lifters at every start up. The ones in yours will be just as old!
  If no one else steps up with pushrods I have them. I just don't really know which can/trunklid/box/pile they are in!!!
  Follow Tom J's latest thread on his new American and free all the valves up on the beasty before attempting to turn the engine over. I'm betting you've got some stuck valves too!
  If it's non running I'd probably break them down pull the seals and lube the snot out of them with a good light crud busting oil. Then new valve seals, umbrellas only!, you want some oil getting in there on these! I'd also use the rope trick for this procedure as you can get some movement without dropping the valve in the cylinder. Tap the valves to break them loose before taking the springs and keepers off. might as well retorque those heads too! Steels shim gaskets and old age.
   Thats all stuff you can do without pulling the heads. Or you can do as I will be doing!
  The more I think and see about this condition has me ready to not even think about trying to use my 37,000 Vigilante motor. I'm adding pull the heads and good three angle valve job to the list! It has always had new lifters on the to do before using!

Someone chime in if I'm wrong on the lifters.

This is what I believe. AMC Gen I = AMC Gen II = AMC 199-258 = Mopar small block.

287 is not a power house by any means, it's 100lbs or so heavier then a gen II motor.
Forged rods and pistons. It can be built as a turbo motor if your not concerned with quench issues you can use Buick Grand National V-6 pistons anf bushed upper rod holes. Way out of good quench range, but compression in the 7's IIRC! Big boost possible!

If I weren't so far away I'd offer up one of my 327's for you to play with........

Oh, the trans is an aluminum Warner behind the 287, slightly lighter duty, but still serviceable.
My brothers swap in replacement has over 100,000 with no sign of rebuild.
His Marlin had 55,000 on the clock when it was given to him, but the engine was siezed.
He picked up a 65 Classic with a new Timing chain and 100,000 for $300 and drove it 60 miles home. the trans in the Classic worked excellent so he swapped in engine and trans and kept the low mile original on a shelf as a spare.

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>