Re: [Amc-list] correction, 287 instead of 327

Re: [Amc-list] correction, 287 instead of 327

" From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
"
" This gives me a chance to voice what I believe to be true on Gen I V-8's.
" The lifters are the same as all AMC V-8's. As close as the nearest parts store.
" I'd not even consider only replacing the bad ones. Do them all. My brothers 287 rattles lifters at every start up. The ones in yours will be just as old!

i second this.

" Someone chime in if I'm wrong on the lifters.
"
" This is what I believe. AMC Gen I = AMC Gen II = AMC 199-258 = Mopar small block.

there is one variable: some have the pinhole to lube through the
pushrod, some don't.

wild idea: crane has hydro rollers for the gen2 v8.  over on the
strokers list we're trying to figure out how to put them into the 4.0
six.  with the right tiebars they'd fit the gen1 too...  then all you
need is a billet roller blank!  just copying the stock timing should
give you about 10% more power, and that's across the range not just
the top end.

" Oh, the trans is an aluminum Warner behind the 287, slightly lighter duty, but still serviceable.

if/when rebuild time comes around, i have a few notes from australia
on how to beef it using later aluminum warner parts, as used in many
foreign cars.  possible donors here are volvo, bmw, and jaguar well
into the '80s, and any tranny shop familiar with them should be able
to handle the rambler.

btw jag used the m12 iron warner almost to '80.