Re: [Amc-list] oops bent 'em again again

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> " Any bets on what my chance of success with
> " it-will-clear-with-lube will be?
>
> i wouldn't be surprised ...

Well, good news and bad news.

As Frank notes in a later post, the valves were "sticky" not
"stuck" (eg. they're closin slowly, so the rods fall out when
the cam follower drops).

I re-assembled it, got the oil changed, went to NAPA and got
a can of Sea Foam.

(The correct oil filter is available as NAPA Gold 1050.)

Drove about 20 miles, up to a breakneck 45mph, overall the car
ran fine. Trans is worn, but totally drivable. The rear axle
looks like coffee grounds and molasses, really grainy! That's
a problem!  Quite though for now (famous last words).

Man, why have I been driving 70's cars?! I f'ing love this
little monster! It's exactly the right machine for me. The
195.6 has plenty of power in that light car.

I ran it for probably two hours, idling (watching temp, stayed
fine) and adjusting, then NAPA, cafe, putt-putt...

So I got it home, parked for a few hours. Started it up to
move it. GUESS WHAT!! Rod dropped out of #3 exhaust! Well put
it back in, but clearly this isn't happening. Then with the
valve cover off it started a weak rod knock, sounds like it is
eating a bid-end bearing...

Revved to 2000 rpm or so it's a little knocky, but droppin to
idle (550) it goes cluck cluck cluck... a dozen or 20 raps. Its
definitely from the crankcase. I shut it down to avoid further
damage.

This is not good, but I'm glad I got to road-check it, and it
was quite a joy. Front suspension is reasonably tight, rear brake
resevoir dry and rusty!, tires are new! with nubs! alas a decade
old! Clutch "fair", did a steep hill in first intentionally,
no slipping, so it's stable. Looks like leaky rear seal.

I think I need to pull the motor to check that bottom end. Too
bad, but still no ring blowby, just the faintest drift of
smoke with the PCV disconnected and the engine hot, so it was
sadly probably a "fresh" rebuild before it sat and rotted the
bottom end (which is my guess). Could be a total rebuilder,
or a "freshen up".