[Amc-list] bad filter, bad

http://wps.com/temp/bad-filter1.jpg

This is one of those generic two-legged translucent fuel filters.
It's a non-brand-name part as far as I can recall. I may have got
it at NAPA, but I don't recall. It was in a card on a wall peg.

It was in service in my Hornet for about a year. I'd had problems
with the Weber's idle circuit plugging up with dirt, twice,
so I changed it.  I decided to cut the old one open just to
see. The filter element isn't that visible in the photo, but
it's under that bread-dough looking stuff on the right (end on).

Cheap crap! Unbelievable! The filter was glued to the housing
with that weird crap that was quite soft and crumbly. It is
certain some of this stuff got out (through the center hole). It
was as porous as it appears, and wet with gas throughout.

I will seek out brand name (probably WIX) filters from now on.