[Amc-list] ID'ing American big-nut axle ratios

[Amc-list] ID'ing American big-nut axle ratios

There is a tag on one of the rear cover bolts of early AMC 15 rear axles with the gear ration in number of teeth for the pinion and ring gears. This would be up until around 65, the last year of the "big nut" axle. The tag may be covered in grime, so clean the rear cover good.
If the tag is missing, pull the cover and count, or turn a wheel and try counting revolutions of the driveshaft per turn of the wheel. On an open diff car I think you can do this with one wheel on the ground and it should be right.

Later model AMC 15 s have a code stamped on the right axle tube boss, I beleive on the rear? The info is in the 73 TSM at www.tocmp.com (search for 73 AMC manual). I'm at my dad's in SC working on my shop getting ready to move in a month!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"