Re: [Amc-list] Steering box changes, early 60s to later

Re: [Amc-list] Steering box changes, early 60s to later

Actually, the pins were fine stainless wires -- about 1/32" in diameter.
They were about 1/4" short, and deformed slightly under pressure to
about half their original thickness. Not dangerous at all -- the worst
that could happen if the pins fell out would be that the steering gets a
little loose -- just enough to feel. Think of it as a "poor man's taper
adapter". As you mentioned, making a taper sleeve is near impossible.
IIRC the "big end" of the hole was so close on both that I didn't see
how a taper adapter could be made. The pins/wires in the lower end
solved the problem until I went to the rack and pinion (something I
don't recommend! Gee-whiz factor only). The fit with the pins was sort
of like the hub/axle connection on AMC rear ends, only no splines. I had
to take the draglink off for some maintenance (to drop the pan or
something, I forget now) 12-18 months after I installed and it was still
good. I replaced the crushed wires with new and tightened down again.
After a couple days of driving I retightened the nut just in case the
wires had deformed with driving, and put a wrench on the nut every time
I was under the car for any reason -- 2-3 times over the 12-18 months.
Never had a problem with it getting loose. You'd know by a visual
inspection -- the draglink would bottom out against the pitman arm with
nothing but the tapered end in the hole. With the wires there was about
1/8" clearance.

I like your solution better. The only thing I'd check out first is the
Hornet drag link -- it might be closer to the right dimensions. The
65-66 pitman arm may have the correct taper for the early manual
steering drag link, but I don't think so. With no way to tell I wasn't
willing to spend around $100 on an NOS one.