Re: [Amc-list] Remember when? Budapest cars

Re: [Amc-list] Remember when? Budapest cars

Car culture: since I was hanging out and working with tech geeks
and art crowd, there wasn't a single car nut amongst them. I'm
sure they thought (correctly) I was some sort of nut when I
was talking about cars as if they were interesting.

I looked specifically for any sign of car culture, though I
wasn't in an area that would have much of that (Andrassy Ut
down to the big museums).

I saw three, one of which I liked:

A BWM with the worst attempt at the BMW tri-color triangles on
the hood.  Hand painted and peeling. Looked like a 4 year old
had done it.

A slightly rallye-ized Trabant, some 2CV-ish looking Renault.

One Lada apparantly mimicking the American "jacked up" drag
look (shudder), the bumpers removed and the rear raised a few
inches. It looked TERRIBLE.

A Skoda? with anime-like flames on the front fenders. Actually
a good job though not your typical car flame job. Car flames
usually intend to convey scorching speed; this looked like a
cartoon explosion.

My favorite, a somewhat ratty Lada in rallye trim. Mainly
stickers, driving lights, air scoops and towel rack (that's
what I call "spoilers" attached to trunk lids). It has some
rally instrumentation so I suppose it was actually a hobbiests
car. The bungie cord on the trunk is a nice touch.

Check out that little yellow Peugot with the SCREAMING
SMILE!!! It's so awful it's cool. I bet that would sell well
in Japan.

Then there's that unfortunate Edsel of a Saab or whatever it is,
with the deep "V" grille. Man that thing is ugly. Then there's
the ugly late-model Ranault with the confused rear end (right
side, 4th row from the bottom). What's with that?