[Amc-list] AMC Roadmaster/Buick Ambassador

[Amc-list] AMC Roadmaster/Buick Ambassador

http://wps.com/AMC/Budapest/images/dsc01609.jpg
http://wps.com/AMC/Budapest/images/dsc01608.jpg
http://wps.com/AMC/Budapest/images/dsc01617.jpg
http://wps.com/AMC/Budapest/images/dsc01610.jpg

Hood scoop, C-pillar vents, race decals, rally and fog lights: hot car.

Non-lockable deck lid with bungee cord and spoiler: genuine muscle car.

Three-spoke wheel, wheel-to-brake lock, plus two pine trees: priceless.

Hand-folding mirrors, aftermarket SuperSpeakers, some sorta CB [?] radio, and a Gloucester fisherman: beloved, priceless, genuine muscle machine!

That said, since you were there with a robot, ya shoulda brung back that 2CV: what US gearhead wouldn't go wild over its three-bolt steel wheels?

http://wps.com/AMC/Budapest/images/dsc01640.jpg

http://ddata.over-blog.com/xxxyyy/0/01/75/64/2cv.wmv

Finally, as you snap a Nissan-Renault, remember an AMC-Renault Alliance. Vice and Versa, they are exactly the same thing.  One works, one didn't.

http://wps.com/AMC/Budapest/images/dsc01692.jpg

Thanks for your digital memories; once called the Kodak moments of our life.

Another shaky American institution, shaken down by competition from the Japanese.  Americans used to take snaps with Brownies or Bell & Howells on Kodak film.  Now the world uses Canons, Fujis, Nikons, Panasonics, and whatevers to record its own history.  Will Americans -ever- wake up and face reality???

>>our 'designated poor' neighborhood visually in sight of downtown.)

Don't blink, you may find yourself in the next "hip" section of LA.

http://tinyurl.com/2fhvgj

Notes from yesterday.  Did you notice that the Japanese wrote "Jeffrey" instead of -Jeffrey-?  Hope your searches still worked.  Did you notice that I wrote that it was "25" instead of -35- years back to 1972?  (To me it seems like only 15...)  And did you notice that I compared the V-8 Hyundai to a Lexus "LS" not to a -GS-?  My Rambler Mentality was showing.  I wanted the $62,000+ 380-hp 116.9-inch [or 121.7-inch] wheelbase model (did you notice that it has the same trunk capacity and same wheelbase as the '74 Ambassador?) but I should have been happy with the $54,000+ 290-hp 112.2-inch wheelbase model that more closely compares to the "well over 300" horsepower 115.6-inch wheelbase $30,000+ Hyundai.  AMC folks still want it all.  And finally did you notice that those dead cars atop the dead Ambassador and Matador both were Chryslers?  Hope AMC folks still can see it all.

After all, they will see that Rebel Machine is now built by Yat Ming!

Beijing Jeep?  Road-breaking.  Sino-Franco-American Motors?  Dim sum.

Asian-European-American General Motors?  Americans can taste-test it.

http://tinyurl.com/29tx6m

http://www.benni.is/folksbilar_nanar_matiz_myndir.htm

http://www.chevroletlease.nl/nieuws/nieuwsitem.asp?id=93&t=archief

(May all your auto prayers be answered --- with a little Chevrolet!)

Or Americans eventually can...

http://www.gmsurveys2.com/se.ashx?s=7C7FD94F5CE5A6E8

...before what once was one of the car makes Americans most aspired to own becomes an adjunct --- a side serving --- to the Chinese market.  Did you know that Buick sales in the US have fallen so far from the 1950s when Buick was one of the top-5 sellers and from the 1900s when Buick was one of top GM engines that drove Charlie Nash to fame and fortune that future new Buicks will be designed for China and shared with the US?  That Buick is the top-selling American car in China today "saves" the make from extinction --- from becoming another Oldsmobile --- is a little ironic.  That the Roadmaster of yesterday is the Royaum of tomorrow should make Americans think harder about where they are and where they're going.  After all, .cn may not be a "slow-go" site [sight] much longer,

http://www.buick.com.cn/en/c_download/wallpaper.aspx

but the old "best of America" may be gone,

http://tinyurl.com/yvkmyp

gone,

http://www.pbase.com/xl1ken/image/58366848

gone,

http://tinyurl.com/36s3az

gone.

http://tinyurl.com/2n4est

Just like whales were to Nantucket: once, the biggest; now, all gone.

Lastly, do you know what this Roadmaster Estate wagon once was to me?

http://mclellansautomotive.com/photos/B32462.jpg

Many of you don't care and are neither reading nor seeing that scene.

It was what led me to order a station wagon.  It is my auto history.

36,000 fully documented untouched miles from Kenosha.

Someday it may become your piece of old AMC.

Someday you may be very pleased to buy it.

Someday you may be glad someone else did.

Someday may be tomorrow or next year.

Someday may be forever and ever.

Or someday may never be seen.

Do you have an AMC museum?

For an old Roadmaster?

No, that's a Buick!

For a new Ambassador?

Sorry, it's an AMC!

PS - Did you know how many AMC history cars can be counted as Classics?  Did you count three times as many Nashs as Hudsons?  Did you count over twice as many as Cords and almost twice as many as REO Royales (they're not the same as Buick Royaums...)?

Did you know that over twice as many Studebakers than Nashs are Classic?  Did you know that over four times as many Buicks and over -twenty- times as many Classic Packards were built than Classic cars from Kenosha were?

Did you know how uncommon, therefore -desirable-, AMC history cars are?

(Or could be, if they weren't "just" AMC.  Are you working for change?)

Did you know how low is the rate of survival of the best of those cars?

Did you know that, of 15,150 Classics built by Stutz vs. 15,940 by Nash, nearly nine times more Stutz Classics survive than do Classic Kenoshans?

Dum diddley; now you do.

History Boy is done now.

Back to the AMC TV show.

Just think: if I didn't read the List, I'd feel no responsibility to contribute.  If I took and never gave back, we could drive down easy street.

Dum diddley; no history.

Think how lucky we'd be.