[Amc-list] Remember when?

For concours/museum cars:

http://tinyurl.com/2py9cj

Tecumseh or York??  Yeah.

For shine-and-drive cars:

http://tinyurl.com/2qntso

RM for Porsche??  Ja, OK.

Sure, but our auto makers aren't competing against Chinese, Indian or Indonesian auto workers, they're competing against the Japanese and Europeans. I haven't seen the Japanese or Europeans sending their production to those countries.
<<

Americans have not been looking.

What Americans at every ethnic, education, and earning demographic need to compete is to become smarter and better informed: "sharper" in fact.

The DaimlerChrysler (German) Dodge (American) Attitude built by Hyundai (Korean) in one of 'those countries' has an Accent (Mexican) Americans should hear.

http://www.ata.com.mx/attitude.shtml

but Europeans have been looking.

http://tinyurl.com/2sjc43

No, not a Hudson or an AMC,

http://tinyurl.com/27zuml

not a Neon or Pacer either.

Not sending production to...?

Q - "Why partner with Chery instead of building the car here in North America or at a DaimlerChrysler plant in China?

A - "Well, first of all, we're talking about a B-segment, which is a very small compact car, and if you look at the U.S. market or even in NAFTA, all the B-segment vehicles are being imported from the Asia region.  The major reason is their cost structure and their ability to engineer and design in those segments.  And we really cannot compete nor can anyone making it in this region."

 - Chrysler Group President and CEO Tom LaSorda, in Chrysler's "private" blog, which, more than 18 months after it debuted [to less than stellar reviews], is still "private" and unavailable to the car-buying public.)

Can't engineer, design, and compete?  Isn't that what a car business is?

Can wheedle, whine, whip, and saw?  Isn't that what US car business was?

GM and Ford are now starting to see what the difference between them is.

What does Chrysler see now?  That 2007 must look like 1987?  Like 1977?

Often poorly built, often-unattractive cars; no connection with buyers?

Often poorly performing, often-unreliable cars; poor sales and service?

Americans wonder why Chrysler (and AMC and Studebaker and etc.) failed?

Americans have not been looking.

http://www.culture-buzz.com/IMG/jpg/the_firehouse.jpg

http://www.blogworks.org/archives/2005/09/firestorm_over.html

The name Chrysler chose was already in use by a London [UK] video firm.

http://www.firehouse.biz/

Chrysler seems so stupid.

Stupid seems so deathly.

It is one,

http://www.starlimos.de/new/hearse/chrysler/ext.jpg

or another?

http://www.nuk.com/downloads_pr/hearse_KK2T7921_med_cleaned.jpg

Yeah, sure.

"'We thank Thee, O God, for all the goodness and courage which have passed from the life of thy servant, Walter Perry Chrysler, into the lives of others, and have left the world richer for his presence' --- Reverend Underwood on August 20, 1940."

"Forty-nine honorary pallbearers carried the huge bronze casket to the waiting black Chrysler Imperial hearse for the ride to Sleepy Hollow Cemetery in Tarrytown, New York."

"As one man said, 'Chrysler was a jack of all trades --- what made him different was that he was a master of them all, too.'"

If that car had survived, it would've been in line with the '40 limo,

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1940/Ads/GentlemanBig.jpg

unless Walter P. took his final ride in an earlier Chrysler Imperial.

http://tinyurl.com/222hlo

Look and you shall find.

Eighty-seven years and two days past (on March 25, 1920), Walter Perry Chrysler resigned as Executive Vice-President of General Motors, where he had been employed since 1912, when he was hired by Charles W. Nash.

"I remember the day.  He [Chrysler] banged the door on the way out, and out of that bang came eventually the Chrysler Corporation."

- Alfred P. Sloan, President of General Motors.

The man who designed the 1940 Chrysler Imperial also designed a car for a dead independent that may be the epitome of Rambler Mentality, so, in a an interesting way, he may also have inspired a 1978 car built by AMC.

That dead independent's car was named Concord.

What was the other car named and who was "he?"

Answer that along with the lingering question.

Both "Dauntless" and "Classic" in car history!

How many more clues do you need?

General Motors!

Studebaker!

Chrysler!

Ford!

REO!

AMC?

WHY can't American car manufacturers make a car
(engine, body, transmission ) last 200,000 or more
miles like a Toyota, Honda, etc.? Because Detroit
wants Americans to REPLACE their cars with new ones.
<<

Until relatively recent changes in law, Japan Inc. wanted the Japanese to REPLACE their cars with new ones as well --- thus, as a result of their stringent safety/pollution/etc. inspection requirements, few Japanese owners kept their cars past six or seven years.  Too espensive to inspect/meet strict standards.

Again, foreign labor markets are protected against
American imports, I believe far more than we protect
against foreign imports. It's not a level field.
<<

In January of 1995, President Clinton announced that on June 28, the US would institute 100% tariffs on Japanese cars costing more than $25,000 unless Japan opened its automotive car and parts market to American car companies.  Clinton believed that doubling the price of an Acura, Lexus, or Infiniti would make Americans buy Big Three cars instead of imported luxury models, especially since European makes could not increase their production quickly to fill American buyers' needs.  The President's men said that Japan had been closed to US competition since the 1930s, when old Henry was denied permission to increase production of his Fords in Japan.  Unfair trade practices kept American cars from becoming popular in Japan, so if the Japanese wanted to keep selling their popular cars in America, they could either double their MSRP or sell cars at a loss.

America can protect itself against foreign imports, said Bill Clinton.

After the pouting and posturing was done, the Japanese agreed to build more of their cars in America, thus America would be protected against the foreign imports and it wouldn't cost $50,000 to buy an Infiniti or $80,000 to buy a Lexus.  European automakers would not increase their American sales share and American jobs would be saved by leveling the automotive playing field.  American workers and Big Three celebrated.
Baseball, apple pie, and Ford-Plymouth-Chevy.  (And Studebaker-Nash?)

In 1996, Japan sold about 200,000 "luxury" cars in the United States.

In 2006, Japan sold almost 200,000 -Acura- cars in the United States.

In 2006, Japan sold almost 300,000 -Lexus- cars in the United States.

Toyota sold 400,019 more cars than Chrysler did in the United States.

America won!

Happy days!

Hillary!

Yipee!

I'm talking about the gangsta-lookalike rides.  You know, the countless Navigators and Escalades tricked out with $4,000 wheels, more chrome added on than came on a 56 Buick, and such that you see with the mirrored windows and stereo vibrating the walls of the surrounding buildings.  They are ubiquitous these days, much as Mercedes were fifteen years ago.
<<

A '56?  Is you crunk?  You lookin' fo' a '58 Buick?  Bling and bling blong.

http://www.plan59.com/images/JPGs/bu58gm.jpg

You can not build a race car out of a pig, but you can make a very fast pig.
<<

http://www.timallen.com/interests/img/kumo/impala.jpg

(Binford, not -Garford-, in case you've been learning any car history here...)