[Amc-list] York Compressors and Clutches

[Amc-list] York Compressors and Clutches

Can Frank S. or anyone else out there do a small info-mercial on York
compressors and clutches for V8 and I6 ? I am mainly interested in the
years 70-74 for my 2 Javelins but other folks may have an interest in
earlier/later years and also Jeeps. I would hope this can be something
like the brake project database Frank is trying to work. I would be
happy to compile the numbers if AMC people want to send in the numbers
off the small York tag. I need to know the engine size, model and year
as well as the York tag info. There is usually 3 lines on each tag.

Of interest, there is a break in the parts book between 69-71 and 72-74
with the difference being attributed (I think) to the change in PS
pumps. 72-74 show the same numbers for V8s but 2 sizes .

I have a York from a V8 that is date coded 1973 and it has the large,
7.5 inch magnetic clutch pulley in a single groove configuration. I am
interested in knowing basic information such as how to de-code the York
tag, what size pulley's go with what years and the differences in the
single grooves and double grooves. My guess was for the emissions pumps.
1973 is the first year where I can decipher a date code in the 3rd line.
The 71 and 72 compressors I have, do not break down date code as
obviously. There are also other compressor questions such as type 209,
210 etc as well as the totally different patterns noticed on the tops.
The 70-74 AMC that I have seen have a cross hatch X shape and the Jeep
versions I have seen have 2 small hexagons with a small channel through
them. Totally different in appearance. Looks like suction and discharge
valves may be on different sides. Anyway, the information of what size
compressor/clutch goes with what platform seems to be all over the
place. It would be nice to get that archived somewhere. I'm willing to
help.

PS: If JD Bare in Florida is reading this, please drop me a line. I was
the guy that talked to you about compressors at the car show near St.
Augustine last year. I think I took a few pictures of your compressor. I
can be reached at jeff.thomas@xxxxxxxx or 407-297-9500 nights and
407-356-4727 days.

Thanks.

Jeff Thomas