Re: [Amc-list] York Compressors and Clutches

Re: [Amc-list] York Compressors and Clutches

This is a tall order! I think it's mostly as John Elle stated -- not a
lot of knowledge in this area. I had to become a brake expert over the
last four years to figure all that out, and still occasionally find
something different!

But for a good start, have you searched the Internet? Some of the
aftermarket suppliers have some good info. They might show the date
codes, or at least the model number codes. I seem to recall reading on a
Jeep site that the model number on the York reflects the displacement --
209 is 9 CID, 210 is 10 CID. Some of the Jeep sites will have info
because they use the York for an air compressor. Find what you can, I'll
help fill in the blanks. I'll even print an article in AMC once a little
info is gathered, just enough to have a base.

Post what you find here so others can check their cars too. It's best to
have at least a start and post the info you have so people will know
exactly what you want and be encouraged to post what they find.

I should be able to scan the TSMs for some of the pulley information.
The belt charts should be a good start. They may have the model numbers
used in particular applications. Note that the engine size/type probably
has nothing to do with compressor size. The compressor should be sized
to the capacity of the system -- how much area it's expected to cool. A
Hornet with I-6 or V-8 should have the same model compressor, but may
have different size pulleys due to different cruise rpm. I know the
sixes are usually geared to cruise in the 2000-2500 rpm range (on the
highway, say 60-70 mph). The V-8s may cruise a little higher, but not by
much. Finding pulley diameter information will be tough.

Other than pulley size, the clutches should be basically the same.
Offset may be different, but they are pretty universal. I wouldn't be a
bit surprised if Tecumseh and York used the same clutch. Riding
lawnmowers use a similar electric clutch, usually a bit larger in
diameter (and holding power).