Re: [Amc-list] Easy Ignition Upgrade for AMC I-6 and V-8

Date: Monday, March 26, 2007 01:55 AM
From: Ken Ames <ameskg@xxxxxxxxx>
This is the easiest hi power ignition upgrade. Looks almost stock - no
TFI
coil or GM HEI distributor.

Quoting Russell Neyhart <rtneyhart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I just went with Teflon... so far no leaks!  I also installed an Accel
> higher voltage ignition coil, Autolite Platinum plugs gapped to
0.045",
> and a Ford cap, rotor, cap adapter, and wires (the Ford parts were '84
> F-150 300 CID L6 parts).  The coil had the right connectors for the OE
> plug, so it was just an ignition R&R.  The ignition made a very
> noticeable difference!

Yes, this is an easy upgrade and noticeable, but you'll get the most
from it by using the TFI coil as well. The higher voltage coil may not
be as good as the TFI coil -- depends on what is used. The drawbacks to
the TFI coil is it needs to be mounted on the fenderwell somewhere (NOT
on the engine -- to much heat and vibration), and new ones can be
expensive. It doesn't wear out, so a salvage yard coil is good. There
are also plenty of aftermarket TFI replacements -- MSD has one that
looks like the stock unit, Crane has one that comes with a bracket but
says not for use w/OBDII, puts out more than the stock coil though.
Jacobs also has a higher voltage TFI replacement coil.

Tom J has a great article on the upgrade on his website:
http://wps.com/AMC/distributor/index.html

He shows a six being converted and gives the six part numbers. The
process is the same for the V-8, just different part numbers. Part
numbers for the V-8 conversion:
NAPA PART NUMBERS
CAP  P\N ECHLIN FA134
ROTOR P\N ECHLIN FA144