Re: [Amc-list] Ford EFI on AMC

Sorry, hit send before I was finished!!

The Ford CFI or TBI was only available on the 3.8 V6 and the 302 V8
engines.
Jeff Reeves
-------------------------------------
I was afraid it might be only for the 302. That doesn't prevent it from
being used on the 360, but it will restrict power to about the same
level as a 2V carb model (a little more). Most TBI systems don't require
recalibration over minor engine changes, but that big a jump might. I'm
not sure if the Ford CAN be recalibrated though. It would likely need
bigger injectors, and I'm not sure those are available either. With the
302 injectors it may simply run out of power earlier, but could run
lean.

So it will probably be best to use a GM 350 TBI unit for the easiest FI
on a 360 (no mods to intake or special intake required). That may
require an adapter, but will work. It will work with the distributor
disconnected, but will keep the "check engine" light on. Not a problem
unless you're in a smog inspection area.

I'm not sure how the GM distributor works with the computer. It should
be just through the ignition module. If that's indeed the case, there is
an article on the web somewhere about converting the Motorcraft
distributor to use a more reliable GM HEI ignition module. If the
computer just connects to the ignition module and controls timing that
way, convert to the GM module and all should work as GM intended it. The
computer can compensate for the 10 cubic inches -- that won't overcome
the stock injectors.