Re: [Amc-list] 4.0 head swap

A: I'm getting ready to do a '87 4.0L head swap onto my '82 Spirit's 4.2L
(and be rid of the damned plastic valve cover!) I have HO EFI to put on at
the same time and I'm still wrestly with putting in the Peugeot BA 10/5 I
have or a 2wd AW4. The 999 will be up on my core pile right after that.
   I have cut everything I had down to just enough to TOTALLY fill a 1 car
garage!

From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM"
	<Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] 4.0 head swap
To: <gcmford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,	<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 01:34 PM
From: Glenn Ford <gcmford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi, Frank

It's the first time I have seen you positive about the 87-90 258
blocks
being wider. I hope you are right. Up until now, you sounded
hopeful, as
if
uncertain.
<snip>
If somebody can do a direct comparison with pictures and
measurements,
like bare Renix block and head, or a 87-90 258 block, verified,
with
wider measurement, then we could confirm or dispel the rumor.
---------------------

Well Glen, I've heard it enough from a few guys on the Stroker's
list
that I'm apt to believe it unless/until proven otherwise. I
wouldn't put
a 4.0L head on a 258 without checking no matter what year the
block was.
That should be SOP for any builder -- double check everything!

There may be matching ports in the block, I don't remember, but
the head
gasket has no holes where the ports are. If the ports match it's
just
coincidence -- they are there to wash casting sand out.