Re: [Amc-list] F('ing)ailing parts 2

Date: Wednesday, March 7, 2007 12:19 PM
From: Keleigh Hardie <keleigh3000@xxxxxxxxx>

One small nit:

"An oil pressure switch closes the contacts as soon as the engine is
started and the contacts stay closed until the engine is shut off."

Most standard oil pressure switches are the other way around, I think.
There is power to the light whenever the key is on. If there is no
pressure, the switch is closed, grounding the light and turning it on.
When you  start the engine the pressure opens the switch, removes the
ground and turns the light off. Only if there is a relay or electronics
involved do they work the other way around...

And I agree with you Keleigh! But this particular switch, which is
spec'd as an oil pressure switch in some application (don't know what!)
works in reverse. Contacts are normally open, and close under pressure.
It's not a typical US oil pressure switch, must be a foreign application
-- or an obscure/old US application. It's been *mistakenly* cross
referenced as a substitute for the pressure type brake light switch.