Re: [Amc-list] Brakes!

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Sandwich Maker wrote:
"
" > one error for a start - the '71-4 'bendix' caliper is
" > kelsey hayes.
"
" D'OH! I even know that, we have one outside. Spreadsheetitis.
"
" > idle curiousity - what are you using?
"
" Open Orfice, as I call it. I'm  saving locally as excel, but
" did a quick and dirty 'save as html'.

aha!  that's what i have also, but i haven't used it much.

" > why piston size in fractions for the later calipers?  they're usually
" > reported as 2.6" and 3.1".
"
" Oh that's so annoying... up until the 80's, AMC spec'd
" wheel cylinders in inches, 1 1/8th etc, so that's how I made
" that column. But disc calipers are given in decimal inches,
" eg. 3.1. Figured I'd fix that later.

but the earlier kelsey pistons are 2 3/4"...  i don't know what the
'60s bendix are.

" Then in the 80's AMC gets with 70's metric fashion and specs
" their 15/16" rear wheel cylinders as 0.94". (That's what's in
" the TSM, I can only assume it's 0.9375 rounded off.)

this i hate.  never round measurements beyond manufacturing tolerance!
if the cylinder really is 15/16", show it as 15/16" or 0.9375"!

don't sacrifice accuracy for simplicity, but don't make things over-
complicated either...

" First I wanna get all the data in there then I'll make a pass
" at cleaning it up pretty.

that's fair.