[Amc-list] Ball Joints Again - Long Fiber Grease

[Amc-list] Ball Joints Again - Long Fiber Grease

I was reading the lastest edition of Mopar Action
magazine tonight and came across the following
question from a reader and the response by technical
editor Richard Ehrenberg.  Since Tom J. recently
brought up the problem of a defective ball joint, I
think this letter and response offers another
perspective on the problem.  Hey our AMC's are Mopars
now anyway right?

Email Question:  Richard I'm trying to locate the part
number for the Mopar long fiber grease.  The counter
guys at the dealership all look at me like I'm crazy
when I ask for it.  All the have is StaLube type
stuff. I've looked through my pile....of Mopar Action
magazines but I don't see a number listed in any of
the articles. Can you help me?  Thanks.

Response from Richard:  The stuff you are referring to
--- Multi-Mileage Lubricant - a long fiber barium
based grease, with a consistency and stringiness no
unlike warm mozzarella, was introduced by ma Mopar as
P/N 4897841AA.  Any Dodge, Chrysler or Jeep dealer can
get it for you, although they have to buy a carton of
ten 14 ounce tubes, so they may want to sell you the
whole box, which would be understandable.  Stock up
while you can. This is especially important now that
most of the suspension and steering parts sold ( for
muscle-era Mopars) no longer have the good balloon typ
seals - only umbrella seals....  For that same reason
lube intervals should be more like 4,000 miles, unlike
the orginal 32 to 34,000 mile recommendation.  With
the more common Vaseline-grade greases, and lacking
the ballon seals, I'd probably reduce that down to
2,000 miles.
------
I think this possibly has a bearing on Tom J's ball
joint situation.  I'm gonna round up some of this
grease.  I'll see if I have to buy a whole case of the
stuff. If so, I may have some to share.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA