[Amc-list] T-96J and 70-71 Gremlins

Snip
AMC had a special
version (T-96J) built for 70-71 Hornets and Gremlins w/232 that had a
slightly
Snip
I owned one of these as a late model used car. A 71 Gremlin X with a 232
I-6. It typified
the good and the bad of AMC cars at the time and taught me to hate
Carter YF carburetors.
However it ran well with minimal problems until I started have 2-3
syncro problems. I don't
remember how many syncro rings I put into the thing or assemblies only
to lunch them back
out with in a very limited amount of time. I got really good at pulling
the transmission in the
garage in a snow storm however.
I finally through up my hands in disgust and turned it over the local
AMC dealer to fix the
thing 'cause obviously I was missing something. After an appropriate
period of time I went
down to check on the progress and saw the guts of the transmission
sitting on a work bench
and asked when it would be done. The reply was it was done and the bill
was astronomical!
When I questioned the expense the answer made sense when they pointed
out every shaft
in the transmission the ends where they sat in bearings were ground down
considerably in
size and they were wobbling around in there causing the syncro's to be
tore out. The reason
apparently as I remember (senior moments besides) was that the
transmissions were made
in Mexico and the shafts were not hardened properly and were wearing
themselves out.
And as I am sitting here typing I remembered that I called multiple junk
yards looking for
a replacement unit and the best answer I got from any one was peals of
laughter as the
demand was so high for these things there was non to be had anywhere. I
never saw it
because I thought the shafts were supposed to be a different diameter on
the ends.
John.