From: amc-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:amc-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Jennings
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 12:46 PM
To: AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans.
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Blue LED tamed

Also, LEDs are highly directional. Most of them have 15 - 30 degree wide
beams! That *is* flashlight territory. That's also how they get the
claimed high brightnesses, but concentrating into a spot (marketing is
marketing).

If you get a 'water clear' LED you can see the LED device inside it, way
at the bottom. The rest is lens! Be careful, about 0.5mm above the tiny
die containing the LED is a wire a few microns in diameter. Break that,
it becomes a DED (Dark Emitting Diode).

You can grind all that lens down and radically change the beam pattern;
just a rough file and flatten the end will really diffuse the beam, and
is what I do for lighting panels and gauges. Or rub it with sandpaper.
You won't lose or block light just spread it.

More than you ever wanted to know about LEDs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED