[Amc-list] new lifters old cam

Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 14:56:56 -0600
From: "Armand Eshleman" <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] new lifters old cam
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Afternoon crowd, this place has been very busy as of lately. Good sign or
maybe every one is just excited about getting going this spring.

I need some suggestions,

Due to my extreme rambler mentality, I would like to install a used
performance cam in my 304. The lifters are dished that I pulled out with the
cam.  How bad an idea is it to get a new set of lifters and install them
along with new cam bearings and the used performance cam. The cam doesn't
look bad with the naked eye, I suppose I could mount it in a lathe and check
the lift specs, what do you suggest??
Remember my rambler mentality now LOL.
I'm going to add my 2 cents worth as while Frank and some others have
hit on the
oil problem, ie most of the moly and zinc has been taken out of the
engine oil used today.
Even Shell's Rotella , diesel oil no longer has most of it's moly or
zinc as Of January 1,2007. The cam may
be ok. It still needs to be checked, but the lifters may have been
bad. There has been a lot of junk made
in China ,flat tappet lifters running around and they are total crap!
I've got one of my old Mopar Homies back
in Illinois who was on his 4th engine rebuild on his 67 Big Block
Dart Convertible due to lack of moly in the oil
and especially bad hencho in China lifters.  There is a good article
on this in "Hot Rod Do-It-Yourself Series Engine" special
called "When Good Cams Go Bad'" , page 72. Even diesel engine have
catalytic converter now and the moly and zinc fouls them
up, so our beloved government has mandated little moly or zinc be
used in engine oil as of Jan.1,2007. And lastly hydraulic flat tappet
lifters are BUGGY WIPS ! No modern engine in production uses flat
tappets any more. All new engines currently made are Over Head cam or
roller lifter. Roller lifters use to be rather exotic, now are
common. Still expensive , but common. So if you rebuild an engine you
add a $6 bottle of moly oil additive or look for a $600 AMC street
roller cam setup.  (Not to Nick Alfano , looks like some needs to
step up and start providing the option of an AMC Roller lifter street
cam setup.) thanks LRDaum