Re: [Amc-list] Driveshaft swaps

Right you are John,  and thanks for reminding me, I made it sound so easy. I
forgot to mention I swapped out the Borg Warner automatic, so that is why
the original shaft was too short (I'm assuming anyway).  I think you and I
talked about this when you were coaching me on the swap. And again thanks
for your help, without you and others on this list coaching me I think I
would have hesitated in making the swap. I had to track down the pedals in
this quest too, got lucky and found a set 40 miles from home for 50 bucks.
Oh I should clarify that too. The 68/69 Javelin/AMX pedals are unique to
those years and the 70 to 74 pedals are unique to those years. I'm not
saying you can't make them work, I'm just saying they are different and
unique to their respective years.

I had to swap in a Mustang clutch disc (1-1/16" diameter 10 spline) the AMC
unit is 1-1/8" diameter 10 spline (gotta be careful there one guy tried
using the AMC disc and had chatter problems with that 1/16". The pressure
plate is AMC. Although I have read that some Chevy pressure plates will fit
too. If any one can help out with that information I would appreciate it as
I would like to install a little stronger/tougher disc and plate.

Armand

However

snip
I know when I swapped a 92 Mustang T-5 into my 70 Javelin (a bolt it
swap)
the $10 Mustang driveshaft was too short........and the original AMC
shaft
didn't fit at all.............
Snip

When I installed my 87 Mustang T5 in place of the broken '70 T10, in my
390 Donohue, not only  did the drive shaft not need to be changed, but
also I could re-use the  clutch disc.
go figure!

Used lifters and cams can be used with a reasonable degree of expected
reliability if you check for  a crowned shape on the surface of the
lifter
using a straight edge as a reference source and the  cam  shows no undue
wear.  At least that is my understanding from a fellow who has made a
good
living rebuilding reliable and cheap Chevy small blocks from junk yard
parts. His advice has always been pretty sound over the years I have
known
and worked with him. My 2 cents for what it is worth.

John.