[Amc-list] Driveshaft swaps

Yeah that is weird.........but then again ford has been offering up parts
for AMCs as production pieces ...example starters....so what the heck.

I know when I swapped a 92 Mustang T-5 into my 70 Javelin (a bolt it swap)
the $10 Mustang driveshaft was too short........and the original AMC shaft
didn't fit at all.............so I had a shop fab a new shaft using the ends
of the donor Mustang shaft, cost $100, .......came back from the
shop....noticed the balancing weights were in the same location on the new
shaft......installed the shaft......drove the car.......no problems.......I
should mention the shop included new u joints too.......front joint is
larger than the AMC joint now as I used a Mustang output yoke
too.........rear u joint is an adaptive one fit both AMC model 20 yoke and
Mustang driveshaft ...... heavier duty too.......shaft is larger diameter
just like Mark was saying........

Armand

If you have a 72 up AMC 232-242-258 six with a T-5 transmission and an AMC15
rear axle in an American sedan, yes, a 77 Pinto wagon driveshaft is a bolt
in!

That's weird! Pintos are far rarer around here (Los Angeles)
than Gremlins!

Good hack though! How did you figure that out?

>  I'm using a true 82 Spirit T-5, it's overall length is the
> same as a Ford T-5. So barring unforeseen differences car-car
> this "should" be a bolt in to all American bodies that share the
> two door sedan wheel base. I'm not sure what the AMC-20 rear axle
> would do. If it's pinion is longer or farther forward I do not
> think it will work as it is a "tight" fit in my combination.

The amc20 needs a shorter driveshaft, the U-joint is more
forward by about 1 - 2" (by memory).