[Amc-list] New lifter old cam

No flame needed Mark and I hope no one took my advice
the wrong way.  I am one that loves to save a buck
when I can just like the rest and have put used cams
in my engines in the past.  The reason I thought it
was worth investing another $80-100 in a new cam was
the fact that Armond said the lifters were in bad
shape and that most were mushroomed.  With that in
mind, there is most likely some abnormal wear on the
cam lobe as well that will be exaggerated by a new set
of lifters.  During the initial break in, they will
try to make a wear pattern to match the cam lobe.
Since it is much harder to tell if a lobe is bad than
it is to tell if a lifter is, I felt the best thing
would be change both while it is apart.  The few extra
$ will seem cheap if the cam goes bad after you add
the new set of lifters.

If you do use the old cam, like others have stated in
their posts, be sure to use an oil additive with a lot
of zinc.  This will help the break in period when the
lifters and cam are the most vulnerable.

As for roller cams, I am trying to get the price down
so they are not so outrageous.  The cam is not the big
problem it is the lifters.  They are almost twice the
cost of the cam.  Even for a Chevy they are not cheap.
 They are worth it though.  No break in period or wear
issues like with a flat tappet.  Better than that is
the performance gain.  A roller cam will out perform
the same grind in a flat tappet every time.  The ramp
speed is so much more aggressive and your power band
is much wider with a roller.  You can get a lot more
duration and still have good low end power instead of
loosing most of your low end with the increased
duration.

Nick Alfano
Alfano Performance
Kenosha, WI. 53142
262-308-1302
262-942-8271 after 6pm central and weekends

Message: 2