Re: [Amc-list] 61 classic super (engine swap)

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, farna@xxxxxxx wrote:

> axle/suspension, and driveshaft also. It can be done in
> several ways -- longish ladder bars (at least 30", longer is
> better!) with the stock springs is the easiest way to go. they
> don't ride the best, but on a smooth road you'll hardly notice. I
> know a guy with a 401 in a 62 Classic with ladder bars -- it
> rides great until you hit a real rough road. Handling is great
> on a smooth road also.

The few I've seen hacked with ladder bars or the equiv. seem
to overlook one critical thing: what happens when one wheel
lifts and one wheel falls!

The rear axle doesn't just go up and down, it rotates when the
body leans, which is all the time.

I saw one guy some years back with such a setup and he couldn't
figure out why it kept cracking the mounts.

Rubber bushings would be a poor patch on the problem; it would
still stress the hell out of the metal parts.

The bars need to have pivoting joints, and also angle inward
(wishbone style) towards the front U-joint to really accomodate
chassis roll.

Otherwise you'll end up with an undrivable car.