Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:59:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] 61 classic super

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, JT <JT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a 1961 Classic Super with a bad 195.6 I'm looking to put a AMC
> 340 or 360 in it. Will these engines bolt to my auto trans ???
>
> John

The short answer is no, not even close. The torque tube/enclosed
driveline cars use the older trans and bellhousing patterns, and
are different 6 and 8. Also, a 8 of any kind will probably eat
the transmission that's in there (little 3-speed or air-cooled
auto).

The only bolt-in solution is to get an older V8 (287, 327)
and transmission, but since all the donors are old you'll need
a known good/rebuilt one. Not easy or cheap unless you are lucky.

Unfortunately I believe that for 1961 that's your only "bolt in"
choice -- besides another early six -- since that year still
has the motor mounts up at the front of the engine.

For non-bolt in there are other options, but without replacing
the rear axle and suspension with an open driveshaft type,
no small project, it won't be a weekend job.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"