[Amc-list] What Time is It ? worn lobe against new lifter base

From: "Armand Eshleman" <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] new lifters old cam
1"

Afternoon crowd, this place has been very busy as of lately. Good
sign
or
maybe every one is just excited about getting going this spring.

I need some suggestions,

Due to my extreme rambler mentality, I would like to install a used
performance cam in my 304. The lifters are dished that I pulled out
with
the cam.  How bad an idea is it to get a new set of lifters and
install
them along with new cam bearings and the used performance cam. The
cam
doesn't look bad with the naked eye, I suppose I could mount it in a
lathe
and check the lift specs, what do you suggest?? Remember my rambler
mentality now LOL.

Armand

<!~~>

"How bad an idea is it to get a new set of lifters and install
them along with new cam bearings and the used performance cam"?

*

Whoo-Wee!   ready for ah 'pank'N ?

How much is ANOTHER in total ENGINE  once the New
lifters eat thru the Old cam Lobes and the cam snaps in half -
thrashing  the internals of your cylinder block ?

-or- the lifter lobes w'ipe' - begin to 'chunk' off & enter your oil
system -
first 'mashed'  by the oil pump rotors - then sent into your mains -
rod & cam bearings ...?  check your oil pump lately ?
Bulltear is making new ones that correct the old AMC problems.....

New Cam Lobe surfaces and the base surface of New Lifters have
different hardnesses - designed in &
calculated as such for one to wear into -  a 'hair' against the other
- thus forming an operative  m'ating' surface - 'ground' into each
lobe face surface / lifter base pair - each surface pairing u'nique'.

The mating surfaces 'grind' in........by thinning against each other
, until they reach s'tability'.

Your old lifter base surfaces have 'failed' - d'ished'....  I'll
wager there isn't much left of the cam
lobe surfaces..... probably 'heat' scoring ... maybe
from used lifters -  - being run on the New - now 'old' performance
cam >?

Putting a worn lobe surface against a new lifter base is a 'TIME
BOMB'........ a mechanical cutting torch......

and....... to zing your Rambler Mentality one further....you should -

buy the ENTIRE New cam Kit > with new locks & keepers & springs ->
& have the New spring pressures 'set' by shimming.

elsewise, you've a  chance of dropping a valve from worn lock
failure - a 'known' in AMC - and - by using uneven worn out valve
spring pressures,
the New Cam will be smack tossing the New Lifters off the lobe
surfaces at each rotation - losing contact - defeating their trying
to m'ate'.... until something fractures,

yes....yes.......... there is always a:

..."but m'ah pal Bubbah',"  ,,, who got away on the cheap, ..........
....... part of Rambler Mentality is using your
Logic........ avoiding a total loss.

Be sure to use Diesel Motor Oil, which has the wear additives -

a new timing roller chain & gear set would be nice too :)>
since we're talking 'Performance Cam' - not -
last ditch Field Service......... don't forget :
pre-lube the new Seal lip.

The cam KIT should come with Moly Paste to coat the wear surfaces
prior to installation - if not - I'd find & buy some > mix the
leftover in some oil & add to the crankcase......
Rambler Mentality at work;)!

        =Bt=
  milnersXcoupe
   "The Heretic"