Re: [Amc-list] 61 classic super

" From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM" <Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" From: andrew hay <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" otoh 290s and 304s were teamed with aluminum warners, but again it
" would be wise to take a matching tranny and only use the '61 tt
" adapter.  and not to press luck with a bigger engine.
" ----------------------------
"
" Yes, but the V-8 trannys were M-4x series, and only with 2V engines. 4V
" engines got M-11s (290, there wasn't a factory 304/4V, unless used by
" Jeep). The M-4x series uses a different valve body and liquid cooling.
" Some of the other internals (most?) are the same as the M-3x, but some
" are definitely heavier. I think (not sure without looking in the books!)
" that the M-4x uses four planetary gear and the M-3x uses three in the
" gearbox.

all true, and only reinforces the value of adapting the m4x tranny to
the '61 tt if going with a v8.  i have sketchy noted on beefing the
aluminum series with bw51 and bw65 parts, but that's a whole other
issue.

i don't know of any jeep 304/4v.

" In case you didn't catch it in a previous post, all 67+ big cars use the
" AMC20 with the six, just as you remembered! Most did in 66 -- there was
" an obscure fleet option 199 equipped big car that used an AMC15. I'll
" have to look at the production chart and see how many were made...

my only real experience with big cars was my '67 232 marlin.  i wasn't
sure how far back before that i6/amc20 use went.