Re: [Amc-list] 61 classic super

Date: Sunday, February 25, 2007 08:06 PM
From: andrew hay <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

otoh 290s and 304s were teamed with aluminum warners, but again it
would be wise to take a matching tranny and only use the '61 tt
adapter.  and not to press luck with a bigger engine.
----------------------------

Yes, but the V-8 trannys were M-4x series, and only with 2V engines. 4V
engines got M-11s (290, there wasn't a factory 304/4V, unless used by
Jeep). The M-4x series uses a different valve body and liquid cooling.
Some of the other internals (most?) are the same as the M-3x, but some
are definitely heavier. I think (not sure without looking in the books!)
that the M-4x uses four planetary gear and the M-3x uses three in the
gearbox.

In case you didn't catch it in a previous post, all 67+ big cars use the
AMC20 with the six, just as you remembered! Most did in 66 -- there was
an obscure fleet option 199 equipped big car that used an AMC15. I'll
have to look at the production chart and see how many were made...