[Amc-list] droning sound

i have the same problem in my 62 classic. some of the
guys may remember me wracking my head about it. i went
and tore the tranny out, went ahead and rebuilt it
while i had it out. drive shaft, and tore the rear
axle completely apart also. nothing was unusual, but
most everything i replaced anyway. bearings, seals
that i could get that needed to be replaced badly.
still same gears. but pulled them apart. my gears have
a little more play than i think they should. no
unusual wear tho. i have the exact same thing going on
with mine tho. about 45 or so, its a "droning" sound
coming from the rear area of the car. i decided the
gears were the culprit. i put some synthetic gear lube
in. made it a little bit better. the thing with these
cars, unlike cars with subframes or frames, there are
no bushings between the frame and body. the suspension
mounts are the only bushings. they mount strait to the
chassis. the body pannels come strait off of there. it
can cause an amplifying effect in certain cases. i
think that is what we are expirencing. i put some of
that sound deadening insulation in the trunk area, and
back seat area. that helped DRAMATICLY. like myself, i
think your going to just have to find some ways to
just deal with the noise. when i go up a hill, it
almost gets quiet. when i go down a hilll, it goes
away completely. same with accel, decel. if the
vibration part is bad, i would swap front tires to
rear first. you can do that at home. do you feel the
vibration in the steering wheel more or in your "seat"
more? steering wheell is front, seat and rest of car
is rear. swap front tires to rear. see what that does.
you can do that at home. if that changes anything, its
your tires. if no change, then i would go have the
drive shaft checked out. try the cheap diagnosis first
is my thinking. hope this could help. i had to go thru
the same thing in about december or so. but if you
look at my car, i have also changed a "few" things.

dave stohler
62 classic custom.
http://picasaweb.google.com/das24rules/62RamblerClassicCustom