Re: [Amc-list] T96 questions

Date: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 03:50 AM
From: andrew hay <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

" From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" could it possibly be the transmission that i got? t89
" or 86. what ever one it was, i forget now that came in
" the 64 classic with od.

that's a thought --
t96 - 4 bolt top cover
t86 - 6 bolt top cover
t89 - side cover like a t10 or Muncie
------------------------
Justin, you may want to have the guy verify the numbers cast into the
side of the trans (T-96X) and the number of bolts in the top cover. It's
easy to get the T-96 and T-86 confused unless you've actually seen both
and/or know they are different. Of course I always confuse the T-86 and
T-89 (when typing anyway -- I do know the difference) because of the
numbers being close.

I've only discovered one T-96 that was physically different than the
standard version. The late model T-96J has a larger diameter input shaft
and front bearing than earlier models. AFAIK the "J" was only used in
70-72 small cars with 232. It has a slightly higher torque capacity than
others. I haven't swapped parts in many of them, but do recall swapping
parts between a 61 and 62 model T-96.

Note, however, that a different letter in the model number indicates
minor differences in the transmission. It's usually nothing more than a
different gear ratio, but the input shaft diameter and/or front bearing
size could be different. They should be the same for same letter
designations, of course. I don't know how many different models AMC used
over the years, though the gear ratios are pretty much the same over the
years except for the Twin-Stick model (haven't looked at all the TSMs,
and going from memory...). doesn't matter what car model or year they
came out of, letter designation will be the same. Torque-Tube and open
drive models, standard and OD, are identical except for output shafts
(standard vs. OD) and tailshaft housings (Torque Tube vs. open drive).
OD version Torque Tube adapters carry the rear seal, open drive models
use a press in rear seal adapter. Swap the seal and Torque Tube adapters
and swap trannys, though you can use a Torque Tube adapter tranny on an
open drive car with no problems -- the flange will just be back there.

All the input shafts should be within 1/8" of each other in length. The
T-96 was only used behind sixes with the small bolt pattern bell, and
all of those are roughly 6.5" deep. All t-96 models used the same
pattern to bolt to the bell. Since this fellow indicates the input shaft
length is different, he either doesn't have an AMC/Rambler T-96 (it was
used by Ford in early Falcons, Jeep behind four cylinders, and
Studebaker in small six cars) or he's got a T-86 instead.