Re: [Amc-list] American Brakes, was Rear Wheel Lockup...

Re: [Amc-list] American Brakes, was Rear Wheel Lockup...

I wouldn't drive on a set of drums up front if you paid me.
I know some guys like them, but , personally no thanks.
They always seemed to pull one way or the other, plus noise, plus fade.
Too hilly, windey around these parts.

My first ever brake swap was 64 Classic (six) drum brakes on a 61
American wagon (flat head, T-96 three speed). I swapped the front drums
and all, which were the same diameter but 1/2" wider with larger wheel
cylinders (no idea now what size they were). To balance them out I put
the slightly larger Classic rear wheel cylinders in too. That little car
with the bigger brakes would stop as good as any disk brake car, and
fade was all but eliminated. Drums can be made to work well, just need
to be big enough!