Re: [Amc-list] rear wheel lock up problem still

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Mark Price wrote:

> I'm somewhat confused myself as I don't prefer to lock my front brakes, even if I stand on the pedal. The result of locked front brakes is loss of steering control. Not something I want around here when a child, deer, dog, cat, or other pops out in front of my car on a windy mountain road. I'd rather hang the back end out than have the front go straight. Besides, IIRC, the shortest stopping distance is achieved with out locking the brakes.

You're totally right, but you want the mechanical/hydraulic
*ability* to lock them up, ideally one tiny bit more pedal
pressure than what it takes to create maximum grip on all four
tire patches at the same time. When a tire patch loses grip it
doesn't slow the car very well, the curling rubber lubricates
the contact patch! If front or rear locks up a lot before the
other than you're pretty much gauranteeing that you'll never
acheive maximum braking force.

It's probably too difficult to get *perfect* balance front/rear
on a street car but it oughta get awful close for a given set
of tires and weight distribution.

This reminds me, I bought new wheel cyls for the rear of my
Hornet, where the added disk brakes to a drum brake car means
I have too much brake in rear. I forgot to install them!