Re: [Amc-list] List Old Timers - Computers

Re: [Amc-list] List Old Timers - Computers

I feel the pain.
My sons evilmachine died last week.
I bought two of the bloody emachines a few eyars back, they were cheep and supposedly good deals after the buyout and redesign, HA! Anyway I bought one for me and after a year my son wanted one. since mine was workign fine we bought him one. Well mine barfed two yeasr ago and it took me a while to find a motherboard to fit the case, then I had to replace the pwer supply as the new board required better power, then the first motherboard was DOA. second one booted fine. Of course th eoriginal Windows XP wouldn't run because my machine was now , not an emachined, since i chanegd the MB! I had found out after some scrounging that a friedn had a Dell Windows XP disc that would install! So the trick is to install the Dell XP, then use the eMachine Product code to register it! WALLA! Legal Windows XP again! [I think?] After all I paid for windows XP on the stupid thing didn't I?!!! Then I had to buy a DVD decoder!
  During all this I walked into Office depot and they had larked down a Compaq unit that they had been using to demo monitors for 5 months. A nicley equipped Pentium 4 unit marked down from $799 to $324, so I bought it. ended up selling the evilmachine to my other son for parts costs at my wifes insistance! ARG, KIDS and WIFES!
  Now the other evilmachine has died! My son who owns it or course has illusions of granduer and wants to buy some gaming machine he doesn't need instead of just fixing it. So for once, I'm sittign this one out! When he saves up for the new one. I will quietly sneak the old one off and fix it. then put it in my workshop or some other place I deem needs a computer.
  I wanted to put the hardrive from his computer into the Compaq, but when I openend it up it is a SATA system! I'm not sure even though it has the second ide drive cable connection, can I just install the second cable and his hardrive or not?
  I'm not very up on SATA at all. I sure don't wantto dork up the newest computer we have!
  Oh on top of the $324 purchse price, I found an online rebate form from Compaq. Sent it in and 6 weeks later they sent me a $50 rebate :] !!!

--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net